For my next instalment of ‘tales from the back of the pack’ Id like to introduce you all to an event which 3 colleagues and I have entered which takes place in just over 5 weeks time.
On the 19th-20th of June this year a PBK team of 4 riders assembled from around Europe will be taking part in a 24-hour relay race around the Top Gear Test Track in Surrey. With 100 teams lapping the 4.5km ‘star in a reasonably priced car’ lap its sure to be a tough and exciting race. Running alongside is a 24-hour Rider Village with music, entertainment, rider massages and of course food and drink for the riders, team members and spectators.
In order to raise our sponsorship target we have come up with a prize fund put together with kind donations from our suppliers and contacts. Below are some of the contents, with much more yet to be added:
In advance we’d like to thank the generosity of our suppliers and are eternally grateful. They are (in no particular order) Craft – Scandanavian Cool – for the Elite Windstopper Jacket, a WS Gilet and an Active T, Madison for the DT Swiss Tricon wheelset, High5 – we honestly wouldn’t ride with anything else in our bottles – for all the gels and powders, Silverfish – for the brilliant SDG Formula saddle, Chicken Cycle Kit for the retro chic Nalini kit (RRP over £200), Upgrade Bikes for the Lezyne Port-a-Shop tool kit (RRP £85) and a set of Reynolds Shadow WHEELS and finally Jim Walker for the Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals (RRP £150) – imagine the size of the parcel that will arrive!
In order to be entered for this giveaway all we ask is that you head to here and purchase a ‘ticket’ (of which 100% goes to charity) and be automatically entered for the chance to win.
The team will consist of Chris Johnson, Adrian Yate, Nick White and Dave Everett who are hoping that their pre-season training and team tactics will pay off and give a good result! We want to win!
Components and parts:
- Reynolds Shadow wheels (shimano) RRP £200.
- DT Swiss Tricon wheelset (shimano) RRP £950.
- Lezyne Port-a-shop tool kit RRP £85.
- Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals RRP £150.
- Pedros tyre levers.
- Blue Deda bar-tape.
- SDG Formula Saddle.
Clothing and accessories:
- Team PBK 2010 Cycling Jersey.
- Garmin Slipstream Team Cycling Jersey.
- BMC Team American 2010 Cycling Jersey.
- Craft Elite WindStopper Jacket – Red.
- Craft Elite WindStopper Vest/Gilet – Black.
- Crank Brothers T-shirt.
- Continental Arm and Leg warmers.
- Welsh Dragon socks.
- Nalini Pro Bibshorts and 2 jerseys.
- Northwave Blade sunglasses.
- Northwave Fly sunglasses.
- Lots and lots of energy product from all brands.
- All the other items you can see in the picture!
- An official 40cm tall Paddington Bear model – everyone in the office wants him and well worth the donation alone!
- The Ribena is for scale, not included in the prize fund unfortunately.
- More energy products than you could ever imagine/need/race with from High5, Accelerade, Lucozade and Clif.
- A Token chain catcher – very useful.
- Bradley Wiggins’ book and Deda bar tape (blue).
- A race-day holdall with roll-out mat.
- Two little figurines.
- The Craft Windstopper Gilet.
Action Medical Research is a leading UK medical research charity specialising in children’s health. Raising as much as we can on Ride 24 will help them fund vital work that aims to prevent, cure or treat conditions that devastate the lives of many thousands of babies and children and their families. They are currently funding research into meningitis, cerebral palsy, eczema and more, as well as supporting the development of new treatments to improve the quality of life for disabled children.
Although the race will be a great deal of fun there is a great cause behind it and we hope to donate as much money as possible to a charity which does such great work for youngsters and the families involved. All donations will be hugely appreciated and will go 100% to Action Medical Research. In return we’re going to ride our little legs off during the race, its the least we can do.
A name will be picked at random out of a hat once the race has been completed – to make sure we give it our all, and in the meantime we’ll try and add even more items to the list – sorry Mr Postman.